Mental Health Awareness Month

Happy Mental Health Awareness Month!

Some may say, "Happy? What is so happy about that?"

Well, let me tell you.

The more people are aware of mental health, the less inclined they are to feel uncomfortable talking about it! That, really, is the whole purpose of my #TheInvisibleBattle movement. Like I've said before, mental illness will affect every single person on the face of this earth. Either you will struggle with a mental illness or you will know someone who does. That is just the reality of life! And that is okay, so long as we know how to deal and cope and understand what is going on inside of us and around us.

Something that I come across a lot is people stating that they are embarrassed to talk about what they are going through because:

1. Some people do not believe mental illness is a real thing
2. They feel as though people will get annoyed or uncomfitable
3. Some people take it as complaining or not thinking positivley
4. They feel as though no one will understand what they are going through

Guys, mental illness is not something to be embarrassed about.

I REPEAT: MENTAL ILLNESS IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE EMBARRASSED ABOUT.

Would a person with diabetes or thyroid problems or hemophilia be embarrassed about their physical health?

No!

They go to the doctor, take steps to control, and if possible, cure, the issue that is causing their health problems.

They are not ashamed because there is nothing to be ashamed about. Their health problem was not something they chose. And if someone were to ask them about what was going on, I would like to think it would be just a regular conversation where questions are asked and answers are given.

Same with a person with a broken bone. They would not skip the doctor and "tough it out". That broken bone needs to be evaluated, put in a cast, be given medicine to help the pain and allow the person to grow strong again. Once they have seen a doctor, though, it is far from over. They have months of check-ups and different medicines with different doses and a lot of psychical therapy.

Their process may hurt, can be scary, and in a lot of situations, is uncomfortable. But if they want a healthy bone again, they need to do what it takes to heal properly.

Well, same goes for those who have a mental illness. I did not ask for Bipolar II. I did not ask for depression or anxiety. I did not ask for any of the negative things that I face daily. If I had it my way, I would have my good days and bad days just like everyone else, and I would never know what it was like to stay in bed all day, motivation gone from inside me. I would not have extreme bouts of energy and go days without sleeping. I would never replay my mistakes over and over and over in my head until my stomach tightens and once again, I restrict myself to my bed, exhausted from the overthinking.

But, I want a healthy mind. I want to be the best possible me I can be, and that means doing the uncomfortable things. I take a mood stabilizer, which has helped a lot, although I still have a few ups and downs. I exercise, and watch my diet closely. I am in the process of finding a good therapist and am constantly educating myself and becoming aware of the things that may trigger my manic states and depressive states.

There is a lot of work that goes into having a healthy mind.

But one thing to be aware of is that a lot of people who struggle with mental illness do not talk about it as openly as I do. I would say 70% if not more do not talk about it openly. They do not seek help because it is considered a sign of weakness, they do not take medicine because medicine means they're crazy, and they do not go to a therapist because therapy means they're broken.

None of these are the case, though, and if there was not such a negative stigma with mental illness, then everyone would be getting the help that they need.

If we were to educate ourselves and become aware of the mental health issues we or others around us are facing, it could be a topic talked about more often, allowing those who struggle that feel alone to possibly feel like there might be light at the end of the tunnel.

Educating ourselves means that there would be less people that feel alone in their fight. Educating ourselves means more people would have a means to overcome their struggle. Educating ourselves could mean lives saved.

Talk to the people around you about your mental illness and encourage them to ask you questions. Ask others how they are doing, genuinely, and wholeheartedly (people can tell the difference). And to all struggling: Things will, and do, get better. I promise.

So, yes. It is a very happy Mental Health Awareness Month.


Comments